This version of Mac ‘n Cheeze will truly surprise you with its deliciousness. It is fully vegan and is a nourishing and delicious alternative to the usual dairy-laden dish. You maybe wondering how such a comforting classic can taste any good without the key player, cheese? Well, this is where the secret ingredient of savoury yeast flakes come into play. They provide a delicious cheesy flavour and combined with creamy cashews and starchy veg, you have yourself a sweet, satisfying sauce. Delish!
250g gluten-free pasta (we love Ceres Organics Quinoa & Rice Fusilli)
1 cup pasta cooking water
1 large orange sweet potato
1/4 head cauliflower
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in water for 1 hour)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp himalayan salt
1 tsp white or black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Handful of chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves (optional)
1. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water once drained.
2. Rinse and roughly chop the cauliflower into pieces, peel and roughly chop the sweet potato. Place both into a pot of boiling water and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
3. Peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic.
4. Place all ingredients including pasta cooking water, cooked cauliflower and sweet potato, drained cashews, savoury yeast flakes, almond milk, onion, garlic, olive oil, turmeric, salt and pepper into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you need more liquid to smoothe the consistency, add a little extra water.
5. Place the cooked pasta inside a large bowl and then pour the creamy cheeze sauce over top. Stir through until each piece of pasta is well coated in sauce.
6. Scoop the pasta into two bowls, sprinkle your fresh chopped parsley or basil on top with a generous grind of black pepper. Serve alongside a fresh green salad. Yummo!
This recipe features exclusively in the March Delight Box, you can get your hands on one right here.