As Easter weekend draws near, my sweet tooth seems to be at an all time high. As someone who loves to join in all festivities, I am always on the hunt for secret ‘healthy’ treats to share with my loved ones!
Now these… These are something else. A donut, crossed with a hot cross bun and an underlying hint of chai spice. What more could you want in an Easter themed treat? Oh that’s right chocolate.. Well they are topped with that stuff too! Keep reading my friends.
1 cup of coconut
1 cup of soaked dates
3⁄4 cup almond meal
1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
1⁄2 cups cashews
1⁄2 cup sultanas
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ginger
1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of nutmeg
Raw White Chocolate:
1⁄2 cup of cacao butter (microwaved for 30 seconds)
1⁄4 cup of rice malt syrup (sub this for any natural sweetener of choice)
2 tbsp coconut oil (semi solid, but not clear)
1. In a food processor, blend together the donut ingredients, sub sultanas and dates. Once you reach a fine consistency, add both, sultanas and dates. Pulse your food processor until mix becomes sticky and easily pressable in your hands.
2. Place mix in a bowl and put in the fridge for an hour. Roll the mix into balls of your desired size and press a whole through the middle of them (I used a chop stick). Flatten balls out onto a sheet of baking paper and refrigerate.
3. Place cacao butter in the microwave for 30 seconds (or on a low heat on the stove-top).
4. Blend together raw chocolate ingredients until you reach a smooth consistency.
5. Place white chocolate in a snap lock bag and cut the edge. Pipe chocolate onto your donuts. I also sprinkled my donuts with coconut sugar and shredded coconut.
Enjoy and don’t forget to share your re-creations with us!
This recipe was created by Hannah Mellsop, founder of Real Rad Food. Hannah is a plant based chef who specialises in custom made raw cakes and deserts. Along with this, she has a passion for recipe developing, food styling and photography. Her goal is to encourage others to live a more mindful and conscious life that thrives off of delicious, flavourful and nourishing plant based food. Check out her Instagram account @realradfood for the lots of foodie inspo!