This summer bowl is a nourishing and hearty feast that leaves you feeling satisfied without being too heavy. It’s super-adaptable to what vegetables you have on hand and what’s in season. We have given you suggestions but feel free to mix it up!
We have been loving the Ceres Organics Quinoa-Rice blend this month and know that it will be a staple in our weekly menu as the days get cooler. You could use any grain here that you have on hand – brown rice, millet or even teff would go nicely!
Ingredients (serves 2)
1 cup Ceres Organics Quinoa-Rice Blend
1 ½ cups water
2 sweet potatoes (cubed)
2 large cups greens (spinach, kale or silverbeet)
1 can organic chickpeas (drained)
2 carrots (grated)
2 radishes (sliced)
1 lemon (juiced)
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup mixed nuts or seeds (your choice)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp turmeric
1. Scrub and cube the sweet potatoes, drizzle over a little olive oil and salt and place on one side of a baking tray.
2. Place the chickpeas in a bowl with a good dollop of olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper – stir until the chickpeas are coated. Place these beside the sweet potatoes on the baking tray, roast in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes (or until crispy and golden).
3. Meanwhile, rinse the grains in cold water. Drain and add to a pot filled with the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the grains are cooked. Set aside.
4. Place a splash of water in a pan and throw the greens in on a high heat with the lid on, until just wilted. This should take no more than 2 – 3 minutes.
5. In two serving bowls, arrange your grains, sweet potatoes, greens, grated carrots, chickpeas and radish. You can layer these around the bowl (as pictured).
6. To make the dressing – mix the tahini, lemon, turmeric and salt together in a jar (add a little hot water to lighten the dressing), shake well to combine and then pour this over your bowl.
7. Sprinkle with nuts and seeds over top and a slice of avocado. Delicious.