These little savoury muffins are the perfect gluten-free afternoon snack. They’re also great for your lunch box, especially when paired with smashed avocado, fresh salsa or a good dollop of cashew aioli. We recommend serving fresh and warm if you can!
Don’t be alarmed by the deep purple colour, this is simply showcasing the brilliant plant pigments anthocyanins present in the purple corn flour.
This flour was featured in our April Delight Box and was an absolute hit for making gluten-free baking a little more exciting!
Makes 10 – 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups Matakana Superfoods organic purple corn flour
1 cup brown rice flour
4 organic free range eggs (whisked)
200ml unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
100ml olive oil
3 spring onion (chopped finely)
2 large handfuls fresh spinach (roughly chopped)
3/4 cup sundried tomatoes (chopped)
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp mineral salt
½ tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees on bake. In a large mixing bowl, mix the flours together, then add the wet ingredients – eggs, milk, olive oil, spinach, tomatoes, onion and mix well.
- 2. In a small glass add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar to create a foam, add this to the bowl along with the salt and pepper and mix well.
- 3. Grease a muffin tray with a little organic butter or olive oil and then carefully fill each mould with the mixture. Top each muffin with a generous sprinkling of pine nuts.
- 4. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, these will rise quickly and the cooking time will depend on your oven temperature so keep a close eye!
- 5. Enjoy these warm with your favourite condiments, we love organic butter or pesto and avocado with ours!