Like a little bite of the tropics, these fruity balls are a light and fresh snack. These are perfect for taking on the road or for popping in the kids’ lunchbox. They’re naturally vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free. If you can’t find papaya (we found ours here), you could use another dried fruit like mango (just make sure it’s free of added sugar). You could also make these nut-free by using sunflower seeds instead of almonds.
This recipe yields about 8 balls, so feel free to double the ingredients and stash some in the freezer for a later date.
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup organic dried papaya strips
1/2 cup raw almonds
2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 tbsp rolled oats
1/2 lemon squeezed
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
- 1. Place papaya strips in a bowl of hot water to soften for 15 minutes.
- 2. Drain papaya and save a little of the soaking liquid, put aside.
- 3. Place all other ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well combined and a little chunky.
- 4. Add the papaya and saved liquid, pulse until papaya is broken up and combined through, keep pulsing until your mixture forms a ball in the machine.
- 5. Take small spoonfuls of your mixture and roll into balls.
- 6. You can then roll this mixture into extra coconut or even dip them into melted dark chocolate.
- Just delicious!