Hazelnuts are a delicious nut to use in desserts and pair especially well with chocolate – think Nutella, a classic hazelnut and chocolate combination that everybody loves. The filling of this slab is our raw ode to Nutella. We then top it with sumptuous, crunchy, activated hazelnuts for the perfect soft and crunchy Nutellery dessert.
Activating your nuts and seeds increases their nutritional value and bioavailability. We then dehydrate them to preserve all of their beneficial enzymes, while giving them that perfectly toasted crunch. Hazelnuts not only make a delicious dessert, they also make a great healthy nut milk. They are high in good fats, vitamin E and vitamin B along with other minerals to help your skin glow and regulate a healthy blood pressure.
Make time: 45 mins | Setting time: 6 hours
Makes: 1 medium slab or about 12 portions
Equipment required: Food processor, blender
1/2 cup little bird organics activated hazelnuts
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup dried coconut
1 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cacao powder
pinch sea salt
pinch vanilla bean powder
2 tbsp melted cacao butter
3/4 cup little bird organics activated hazelnuts
1/2 cup hazelnut milk
3/4 cup organic maple syrup
pinch sea salt
optional — 1 tsp of hazelnut extract
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp melted cold-pressed coconut oil
1/4 cup melted cacao butter
1/4 cup cacao powder
1 1/2 cups little bird organics activated hazelnuts
1. In a food processor, blend hazelnuts, cashews and coconut into a coarse couscous texture. Add the dates, cacao, salt and vanilla powder and blend until combined and the mixture is slightly sticky. Add the melted cacao butter and pulse a few times until well incorporated.
2. Line a small rectangular container or tin (approximately 12 x 15 cm) with plastic food wrap.
3. Press mixture firmly into the tin – it will need to be approximately 4-5 mm thick on the bottom to maintain the structure.
4. Place in refrigerator while you’re making the filling.
1. Place hazelnuts, hazelnut milk, maple syrup, salt and hazelnut extract (if using) in
high speed blender, blending well until very smooth. With the blender still running,
slowly pour in melted coconut oil and cacao butter and blend until completely
combined into the mixture. Lastly, add cacao powder and blend until completely
2. Pour into prepared base, spreading well with a spatula.
1. Top with activated hazelnuts, pressing them down slightly into the cream so they are
2. Leave to set in the refrigerator for approximately 6 hours. Once set cut into 3x6cm rectangles and store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.