A dish that will not only blow your mind, but also your taste buds. It will not only impress your guests, but will take you less 15 minutes to prepare. Need I say more? Packed with flavour and fresh herbs, I bring to you a dish that ensures you get the most authentic Pad Thai experience possible.
This recipe is for those of us who love a good hearty bowl where you can pick at your favourite bits and mix and mingle with every component of the dish. In saying that, this dish can also be served hot by simply throwing all of the bowl ingredients in a big wok along with the ‘Pic’s Peanut Oil Sauce’ (leave the herbs for garnish).
Ingredients For Bowl
100g pad thai noodles (sub for rice noodles if desired)
100g organic tempeh
1 Lebanese cucumber
1/2 cup spring onion
1/2 cup coriander
2 tbsp chopped peanuts
2 tbsp cashew pieces
2 tbsp Pic’s Peanut Oil
Handful of mungbeans
Ingredients For Pic’s Peanut Oil Sauce
1 tbsp Pic’s Peanut Butter
2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
1 tbsp coconut cream
2 tsp Pic’s Peanut Oil
1 tsp crushed ginger
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp coconut sugar
Pinch of salt
Juice of half a lemon
1. Cook noodles as per instructions on the packet. While the noodles are cooking, roughly chop up your carrot, cucumber and spring onion.
2. Proceed to shallow fry cubes of tempeh in peanut oil until brown.
3. Remove noodles from the stove top once they appear clear and use these as the base of your bowl. Surround the noodles with your veggies, herbs, nuts and fried tempeh.
4. Place all ingredients for the peanut sauce into a blender and blend until you reach a smooth consistent texture. Drizzle this over your bowl along with some hot sauce (if that’s what you’re into).
5. Feel free to mix it all around and get a little crazy with your sauce (it’s pretty good). Or even chuck it all together in a wok over medium heat with a little extra tamari or soy sauce for a warming winter dish. The freedom is all yours!
This recipe was created by Hannah Mellsop, founder of Real Rad Food. Hannah is a plant-based chef who specialises in custom made raw cakes and desserts. Along with this, she has a passion for recipe developing, food styling and photography. Her goal is to encourage others to live a more mindful and conscious life that thrives off delicious, flavourful and nourishing plant-based food. Check out her Instagram account @realradfood for lots of foodie inspo!xo