This brownie is seriously delicious and dangerously addictive, with an incredible fudgey texture and just the right amount of choc chunk. The best part is that it is fully vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and brimming with goodness. It’s star ingredient is one of our favourite superfoods, raw cacao powder, giving it a rich chocolate flavour and is providing us with a super antioxidant hit! We’ve topped ours with a salted tahini sauce and crushed walnuts, but this is of course optional.
1 1/2 cups pitted dates, soaked in warm water
1 small apple, finely grated
1/2 ripe banana
2 tbsp raw honey (or other liquid sweetener of choice)
2 tbsp chia seeds, soaked in 8-10 tbsp water to create a chia gel
3/4 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1/2 cup Matakana Superfoods raw cacao powder
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp organic tahini
2 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
1. Turn the oven on to bake at 180°C.
2. Place all the wet ingredients into a food processor and blend until the consistency is smooth.
3. In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and mix (without overmixing!).
4. Pour this mixture into a lined baking dish (so it’s about 3cm thick) and place in the oven to bake for 20-30 minutes. You will know it’s ready when a knife comes out clean when pierced.
5. Once cooked, remove brownie from the baking dish and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled (this is super important otherwise it may crumble apart!).
6. To create the topping, whisk the tahini, honey, salt and boiling water together to create a runny sauce. Drizzle this over the brownie and top with crushed walnuts
7. Cut into generous slices to share with family and friends. Delicious!
Recreating this addictively fudgey brownie? You can grab your Matakana Superfoods Cacao Powder here. Don’t forget to tag us @i.am.company so we can see your gorgeous snaps! xo