Broccoli is a powerhouse of nutrients. It’s reputed to benefit digestion, the cardiovascular system and the immune system, and to have anti-inflammatory and even cancer-preventing properties. Turns out your parents knew what was up when they told you to eat your broccoli!
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 shallot finely diced (or half a red onion)
- 1 tomato deseeded and finely diced
- 1 roasted red capsicum de-seeded and finely diced. (either roast your own or use the jarred ones easily sourced from your local).
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- black pepper & salt to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100ml olive oil
- 3 Tbsp toasted pinenuts
1. Chop the broccoli into florets and in batches, pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice. We like to use every part of the broccoli so feel free to add in the stem also, just make sure you chop it small enough before adding to the processor.
2. Transfer broccoli to a large bowl and add tomato, shallot, red pepper, parsley & lemon rind.
3. Crush the garlic a large pinch of salt using a mortar & pestle. Add the lemon juice and olive oil. Once seasoned to your likening add to the rest of the salad ingredients and mixx well. Sprinkle the pine nuts on top and serve.