Who doesn’t love a hearty pasta dish? This one is super tasty and can be adapted to most diets whether plant based, paleo or gluten free. It just comes down to the pasta of choice. We’ve used black beluga lentils because they hold their shape better than the humble brown lentil. They’re super high in dietary fibre and folates but also contain anthocyanin’s which is the same powerful antioxidant found in blueberries.
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g Ceres Organics Black Beluga Lentils
- 400g pasta (we used spelt spaghetti)
- Fresh basil
- Grated parmesan cheese or savoury yeast
1. Process sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts in a food processor until finely chopped then set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Once hot, add onion and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add crushed garlic and continue to cook, stirring continuously for another minute.
3. Turn heat to medium-low. Add cherry tomatoes and the tin of chopped tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the cherry tomatoes begin to break down. Add the black lentils and the reserved sun-dried tomato mix. Combine and continue to cook for another 10 minutes on a low heat.
4. While bolognese is cooking, cook pasta according to packet instructions.
5 Drain pasta and add to the lentil bolognese and mix until combined.
6. Season to taste and serve. Garnish with fresh basil, parmesan or savoury yeast.