This brown rice porridge is simply delicious. Super simple, but just what you need on these cooler Autumn mornings to warm your belly. Made with warming spices it’s also vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. Winning! You can double or triple these quantities to make for your friends and fam!
1 cup of rolled brown rice flakes
1 cup of plant milk of your choice, almond or coconut both work really well here
1/2 cup water (or another 1/2 cup of plant milk)
1 ripe banana
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1. Place the rice flakes, cinnamon, cardamom, milk of choice and water in a saucepan.
2. Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce it to a simmer.
3. Once you have reduced the heat, add the banana in. You can either mash or roughly chop the banana depending on what texture you prefer for your porridge.
4. Rice flakes cook in a similar way to rolled oats so you know it is ready when the rice flakes are soft and the porridge is creamy. You may want to add more milk if you enjoy your porridge a bit more on the runny side.
5. Finally, pour it all into a bowl and top with whatever your heart desires. Some topping suggestions are buckwheat, cacao nibs, berries, coconut and a drizzle of pure maple syrup!
**This recipe was contributed by Ella Farrugia, one of our fave Instagram foodies @thecuriousavocado…delicious!