Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is pretty well-known as a nutrient-dense pantry staple these days…
We love it and use it daily.
It’s important to choose ACV with ‘The Mother’, this is the cloudy looking stuff that often settles at the bottom of the bottle, it’s full of ALL the good stuff- including the enzymes and minerals.
A LOT of people have good things to say about ACV so here are a few of the reasons why we LOVE it and our favourite ways to use it…
– Mix 1 tbsp of it in a refreshing glass of water. By drinking ACV in between meals it helps to prevent cravings and uncontrollable hunger by stabilising your blood sugar levels.
– By drinking ACV right before meals it will help with digestion by helping to spark up the crucial enzymes and acids which will get the digestive juices flowing – breaking down heavier protein-rich meals.
– Use it around the home- as an all-purpose cleaner. Vinegar in general is a great natural cleaner, in particular for cleaning glass and mirrors. Use 1/2 cup of vinegar in a bucket of water and mix into a spray bottle. If you’re sensitive to chemicals in many cleaning products– this is a winner!
– If your hair is beginning to feel flat and drab- you may have a build up of hair products. ACV can be used after you’ve washed with shampoo and before you’ve conditioned to help remove build up and give you back some shine! (Use approximately 1/2 cup ACV mixed into a 750ml bottle of water and flush it through the hair & scalp)
– If your skin is feeling a little dull or worn after a long winter…use ACV to bring back some glow. Used as a skin toner, this can work wonders. To create the ‘toner’ just mix 1 tablespoon of ACV into a small jar of water and keep in the bathroom for your post-cleanse treat. Use a small amount on a cotton pad and wipe over the entire face and neck area. It’s said to brighten the skin and balance out the pH, without excessive drying.
– Take it travelling. If you’re prone to digestive and stomach issues when travelling to foreign places– have a bottle of ACV handy to calm and nourish your gut. Consuming first thing in the morning with a warm glass of lemon juice is a great way to get things moving (digestively) and helps to refresh and flush out any gunk from the night before, as well as strengthening the immune system.
– Our favourite use for ACV is as an afternoon pick-me-up beverage. It’s a cure-all for that afternoon slump. It truly energizes and brightens your mood. It also helps to do a few star jumps or hang upside down if your that way inclined…(but we’ll post more on that another day).
– And of course using ACV in cooking is a must. It has a delicious sweet flavour different to other vinegars. It’s great to add to any salad dressing, stir-fry or roast vegetable dressings & even in the baking of (healthy) breads & cakes occasionally.
We’d love to hear from you! If you have any other uses or questions….let us know in the comments below!