Here at I AM Co. one of our favourite things to do is enjoy visiting the great cafes around the country. We’re so spoilt to have such an amazing range of cafes serving some hugely delicious, healthy food from a wide variety of cultures. Some of these cafes have been generous enough to share some of our favourites with you….
A firm favourite in North Canterbury is Pukeko Junction Café & Deli. A popular, buzzing, award winning destination café. The gourmet country styled food is all made in house, from the bread to the tarts, cakes, sauces and fresh salads. Tuck in and enjoy a hearty breakfast with local free-range eggs, generous lunches from the deli or afternoon tea. The Pukeko Junction Cafe & Deli is warm and inviting, with serious coffee, a log fire and lots of outdoor seating for those sunny Canterbury days. Sounds like the perfect place on a crisp spring day.
- 1 large grey butternut pumpkin
- 3 cups cooks cooked lentils
- 2 red onions sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- handful of sliced almonds (reserving some for the top)
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp of sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
1. Place the whole pumpkin into a preheated oven and roast up to an hour at 180 deg Celsius or until tender.
2. While pumpkin is roasting sauté onion in a pan with a dash of oil. Add rest of the ingredients and simmer lightly.
3. Once the pumpkin is fully cooked, cut off the top & scoop out the seeds – be careful not to break the skin. Fill the pumpkin shell with the lentil mix and top with almonds. Makes a superb meal to cut at the dinner table.
Pukeko Junction Cafe & Deli @pukekojunction
458 Ashworths Road, Leithfield, North Canterbury.