We’re obsessed with hearing about what other people eat all day erryday and we just know that you’re all as curious as we are! There’s something so intriguing about knowing the secrets of a healthy foodie. Follow along with this series where we find out what a wide range of successful health-loving ladies eat in a day.
This week we chat to Melissa Lowe, Health Coach and owner of The Thrive Guide Health and Wellness.
Melissa is all about Keeping it Real. She’s an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, owner of The Thrive Guide Health and Wellness, and knows how overwhelming it can feel to make changes to really start looking after yourself and your family. Having “dragged” herself, three kids and a husband from eating a white bread, cornflakes and pasta diet, onto eating whole foods from nature the majority of the time, she knows how challenging it can all feel. She has created a programme to help women really learn how to value and empower themselves, take care of not only their health through nutritious foods, but also taking care of their themselves through managing stress, energy, hormones, allergies, sleep, weight gain etc. She truly believes many of us women are just “over doing it” and need to take care of themselves Every Single Day!
Your go-to brekkie is…
Coco-nutty muesli topped with coconut yoghurt and frozen berries. https://www.thethriveguide.co.nz/coco-nutty-granola
Your go-to lunch is…
Baked orange kumara pieces (I usually bake a batch at the beginning of the week), with a salad of mesclun lettuce, beetroot, feta, baby toms, almonds, sliced red onion, and olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over the top.
Your go-to dinner is…
I love a good roast. Roast chicken, with roasted carrots, kumara, potatoes, and drizzled with home-made bone broth gravy. Plus a big salad on the side. Yum!
Dessert or no dessert…
Once a week – for sure. I love making ice cream out of frozen bananas and drizzling melted dark chocolate over the top. Mmmmm.
What you reach for when a snack attack hits…
I usually go for nuts – brazil and walnuts are my favourite at the moment.
Your fave foodie destination…
Turkey. Love their food.
Three foods you can’t live without…
Feta (goat), dark chocolate, red wine (does that count as a food?)
Your ultimate foodie indulgence…
I’m a sucker for Hawaiian pizza.
The recipe that’ll always get you drooling is…
Coconut Chicken Strips – I have to stop myself from eating them all before they’re dished up.
- 3/4 cup milk (coconut milk would be ideal)
1-2 cups of shredded coconut (dessicated is fine too)
2-3 chicken breasts
Salt & pepper
Moroccan seasoning (or tumeric or curry powder is fine)
Butter or coconut oil for frying
- 1. Place chicken breasts between plastic bags and pound with a mallet or rolling pin until flat. Slice into strips.
2. In a dish, beat milk & egg, salt and pepper, and Moroccan seasoning.
3. Dip chicken in egg mixture.
4. Put shredded coconut on a plate and dip chicken pieces into this, pressing the coconut into the chicken.
5. Fry coated chicken in butter/oil – keep heat lowish so the coconut doesn’t burn before the chicken is cooked (I did mine on the bbq).
- Would be yum served with grilled pineapple too.
Connect with Melissa:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thethriveguidewithmelissalowe/
- Instagram: @thethriveguidewithmelissalowe
- Website: www.thethriveguide.co.nz/